Blog Archive

My paper butterfly heart flew away.

I used to keep my promises in a cereal box. & You always quenched my summer mornings with your reassurances. There are some things I could have relied on, like a sure bet. Perhaps I should first have you realize that paper butterflies are not born from chrysalises. They were never caterpillars,they never had a first chance at life.


 They've never chased their reflection broken & nearly flightless on a pond. They've never aspired to fly to the moon, fly to the sun & be back before the morning.

 They've never feared spider webs, bird beaks, dream catchers hanging from the window panes & confusing them for nightmares.

 Holding them between our fingers & pretending to be gentle.
 It's just us storing things away that we could have never kept, only to find we'll never get them back anyway.